Sunday, September 24, 2006

Antworks - I'm a Myrmecology

My Antworks... I found it at last! After searching everywhere for about a year! And my adventure begins!

1st problem:- They didn't teach you how to catch the ants! Well, you can order... but I doubt they will sent it to Singapore... this is a NASA project... the order form only says US and Canada... nothing mentioned about Singapore!

Next, the ants! Another problem! Suppose to be Harvesters Ants, but I do not know how Harvester ants are like... can they be found in Singapore? The park below my block are full of red ants... so I thought... should do la... Had a hard time catching them... we killed/injured 3-4 in the process. 2 was crushed by the box, another one was limping after we accidently crash it's leg.
Was Suppose to have at least 20-25 ants inside. How the hell do you catch 20-25 ants and put everything in without the ones inside crawling out? But in the end, we spend about half an hour and only had 4. We gave up! Telling ourselves that we will try again!

So, I am now known as a Myrmecologist... (Myrmecology is the study of ants (either scientifically or as a hobby). By studying the behavior of the ants in my ANTWORKS, I become a myrmecologist... kekekeke.... my own discovery channel in my room... the instructions booklet says the ants will start to tunnel in after 24-48 hours, they will find nutrient in the gel and the gel is suppose to be good for them... the translucent gel not only serves as a tunneling medium for the ants, but it is their food and water source as well. But I guess the ants didn't read this booket before! They didn't know the gels were good... they just didn't bother about the gel... they bite it a little and gave up! I wish I could tell them... EAT... DIG.... you are suppose to do that! The holes that you see in the gel are actually made by me... it is suppose to give help the ants start tunneling. The ones nearer to the edge are 'eaten' by them. At least it is 1 of them.

The next day, nothing happened... they were just walking around, sleeping and idling... we went out lunch and came back and guess what happened!! All were dead! Well... maybe these are not Harvester Ants, so they cannot get use to the gel... so will try again! Sorry to these 4 little red ants... "I thought a $39.90 bungalow will do you good!" Sigh!

No comments: