Friday, January 20, 2006

i-chinatown



Going to Chinatown now is atrocious. The crowd is all sweaty and people were just pushing one another! But then again, what is Chinese New Year without a visit to Chinatown! You see all the CNY decoration, Cai Sheng Ye, CNY goodies, the kam kat.

Jin Jin 101 desserts stall. I ordered the honeydew, soursop, chin chow with ice cream. A rather unique way to serve the dessert. The ingredient was presented in a frozen honeydew. Thus it was rock hard! It cost $7 for this and my friend thought it was quite expensive for something you can have it at a hawker center for say $2 max. Also tried the water chestnut cake. It was very tasty but I found it a bit too oily!

After that, we proceeded to the old Majestic Theater, Malan Noodles Fast-Food. Wee and myself had the pork rib la mian while XM had the cold la mian. XM's dish came with ice cubes! Alex had the Italian fried noodles which looked a bit too greasy! I could not remember what the others ate!


We ordered some other side dishes, Century Egg with Doufu & Treasure Pork Rib which cost $5.90 per piece.

We also ordered ‘Tang Bao’ (soup bun) which did not have a lot of ‘tang’, ‘xiao long bao’which I thought was not bad. Some cold cuts with lots of garlic and chillie oil! And ‘mei cai’ (preserved vegetable) with sticky rice. The whole dinner cost about $80 for 7 people. That is inclusive of drinks! So I would say price is reasonable!

Rating: I did not finish my la-mian, I felt the noodles were not that nicely done. It was very mushy and the noodles were not ‘la’ (pulled) very nicely. However, my friends thought it was not too bad! I only like the $5.90 ribs and the Xiao Long Bao.

Malan Noodles Fast-Food
80, Eu Tong Seng Street #02-01
Tel: 63278620

No comments: